Follow this plan to attract users to your site and encourage them to buy.
There is a proven sequence of steps you can follow to guarantee your success when starting a company, or running an online business. I have seen hundreds of people start and grow an online business by doing the following:
- Find a need and fill it.
- Write text that sells.
- Design and build an easy-to-use website (UX UI design).
- Use search engines to attract traffic to your site.
- Create a reputation for yourself as an expert.
- Contact your customers and subscribers via email.
- Increase your revenue through back-end sales and upselling.
Everyone from the novice to the seasoned online entrepreneur can benefit from this process by learning how to start an online business.
Step 1: Start a business that meets a need.
Most people who are just starting make the mistake of looking for a product first and a market later.
To increase your chances of success, start with your market. The trick is to find a group of people who are looking for a solution to a problem but not finding many results. The Internet makes this kind of market research easy.
What can you do to develop this aspect of your online business?
Visit online forums to see what questions people are asking and what problems they are trying to solve.
Conduct keyword research to find phrases that many people are searching for, but there is no mega competition for.
Check out your potential competitors by visiting their sites and paying attention to what they are doing to meet demand. Then you can take the knowledge you’ve gained and create a product for a market that already exists – and of course, do it better than your competitors.
Step 2: Write text that sells.
There’s a proven formula for writing sales text that takes visitors through the sales process from the moment they arrive to the moment they make a purchase. How to do it.
- Generate interest with an attractive headline.
- Describe the problem your product solves.
- Demonstrate your credibility as the solver of that problem.
- Add testimonials from people who have used your product.
- Tell about the product and its benefits to the user.
- Make an offer.
- Make a strong guarantee.
- Create urgency.
- Ask for the sale -CTA
- In your text you need to focus on how your product or service, can solve people’s problems or improve their lives. Think like a customer and ask “What’s in it for me?”
Step 3: Design and build your website.
After finding your market and product and planning your sales process, you are now ready to create a website or otherwise landing page for your online business. Remember to keep it simple. You have less than five seconds to grab someone’s attention – otherwise they will disappear and never come to your site again. Some important tips to keep in mind:
- Choose one or two plain fonts on a white background.
- Make the navigation clear and simple and the same on every page.
- Use graphics, audio or video only if they enhance your message.
- Include an opt-in offer so you can collect email addresses.
- Make buying easy – no more than two clicks between a potential customer and checkout.
- Your website is your online store, so make it customer friendly.
Step 4: Use search engines to direct targeted shoppers to your site.
Pay-per-click ads are the easiest way to attract traffic to a brand new site. It has two advantages over waiting for organic traffic or SEO.
First, google PPC ads appear instantly on search pages and second, PPC ads allow you to test different keywords as well as headlines, pricing and sales methods. Not only do you gain instant traffic, but you can also use paid ads to find the best keywords with the highest conversions. You can then deploy the keywords on your site in your text and code, which will help you rank in organic search results.
Step 5: Create a reputation for yourself as an expert.
People use the Internet to find information. Provide this information free to others (such as guest posts or social media posts). This will help you see more traffic and better search engine rankings. The secret is to always link to your site with any interesting information.
So examples of things you can do are:
- First, give away free, expert content. Create articles, videos, or other content that people find useful.
- Distribute this content through directories, online articles, or social networks.
- Include “send to a friend”, or “share on social media” links to valuable content on your site.
- Become an active expert on industry forums and social media sites where your target market hangs out.
- You’ll reach new readers. But even better, every site that publishes your content will link back to yours. Search engines love links from relevant sites and reward you in rankings. This is one of the factors of SEO.
Step 6: Use the power of email marketing to turn visitors into buyers.
By collecting emails, you create one of the most valuable assets of your online business. Your customers and subscribers have given you permission to send them an email. This means:
- You’re giving them something they asked for.
- You’re developing a lifelong relationship with them.
- The answer is 100 percent measurable.
- Email marketing is cheaper and more effective than print, television, or radio because it is highly targeted.
- Anyone who visits your site and subscribes to your list is a very hot lead. And there is no better tool than email to follow up with potential customers.
Step 7: Increase your revenue through back-end sales and upselling.
One of the most important online marketing strategies is to develop the lifetime value of each customer. At least one-third of people who bought from you once will buy from you again if you contact them. Closing that first sale is by far the hardest part – not to mention the price because it’s the most expensive for you. After all, acquiring a new customer is much more expensive than selling to an existing one. Because all you have to do is call him or write an email and some of them will buy. So use back-end selling and upselling to encourage them to buy again:
- Offer products that complement their original purchase.
- Send electronic loyalty coupons that they can redeem on their next visit.
- Offer related products on your “Thank You” page after their purchase.
- Reward your customers for their loyalty and they will become even more loyal.
In a word to conclude the issue of online business
The Internet is changing so fast that one year online is about five years in the real world. However, the principles of starting and growing a successful online business have not changed at all. If you are just starting an online business, stick to the order I talked about. If you’ve been online for a while, do a quick review and see if there’s a step you’ve been neglecting or never took on. You can’t go wrong with the basics.